Idyllwild Fire Protection District
Board of Commissioners Meeting
~ May 21, 2010 ~
AGENDA FOR SPECIAL MEETING
No Workshop / Meeting starts at 6:30 pm
(PER BROWN ACT SPECIAL MEETINGS REQUIRE 24 HOURS ADVANCE NOTICE)
The meeting is held at the Idyllwild Fire Station, 54160 Maranantha Drive, Idyllwild, Ca. Workshop is to review new agenda items and old business. The Board may approve or take action on items contained in the Discussion and/or Action Calendar.
~ CALL TO ORDER ~
Capparelli – Killingsworth – Schelly – Stigall - Riggi
Interim-Chief Walker - Coopersmith(s)
Pledge of Allegiance
DUE TO HEAVY AGENDA, LESS URGENT ITEMS MAY BE PENDED OUT TO NEXT MEETING
Citizens’ Comments: Citizens may comment on any matter as contained on the Regular Meeting Agenda. Individual citizen’s comments will be contained to five (5) minutes each as timed by a member of the Board. ***Optional request to citizens making public comments: You are not legally required to state your name and address but it is appreciated.
Chief’s Report: Interim-Chief Walker would like to address the Commission and public to report on his first week at IFPD.
All contents are actionable items.
1. Reba Coulter: Would like to write grants for IFPD. Underfunding of the District warrants a review of grant writing opportunities to provide necessary equipment (turn-outs, extractor, thermal imaging camera, breathing apparatuses, etc.)
2. The Family Business: Discussion of the ongoing business relationship with The Family Business for financial services such as general accounting, payment of bills, payroll, transfers from monetary accounts, etc, at a cost of $2500/mo to the District. Options to consider include, but are not limited to: outsourcing, doing in-house and/or retaining TFB on a consult/contingency basis. Reconsideration of the office assistant’s hours if TFB responsibilities are reduced. Also, change in name of the position to “Administrative Assistant.”
3. Interim-Chief Contract: Need to create document for new interim-Chief Walker.
1. Protocol development for ZOLL AutoPulse use: Gigi Kramer, if available, to discuss if available, Riverside Emergency Medical Services (REMS) requirement of IFPD to have specific criteria in place before implementing the AutoPulse equipment. She has experience writing said protocols and has bid on providing that service to the District. Are monitors in use yet? (GIGI MAY BE LATE. IF NOT PRESENT WILL PEND OUT UNTIL SHE ARRIVES)
2. Status of search for new Fire Chief: General discussion on process. Carry until completed.
3. Abatement Season: Status report. Use of non-career personnel to do abatements?
4. Reducing Operating Expenses: Review of emergency status of current budget. District is significantly underfunded and facing large deficits before the end of Fiscal Year 2009-2010. Ad Hoc created May 11 for discussion with labor group to discuss possible suspension of scheduled pay increases. Overtime has exceeded budgeted allotment along with several other line items.
5. 2010/2011 Budget: Review and projection of challenges facing IFPD in the upcoming fiscal year.
6. 2010 Tax Assessment: Annual resolution required for IFPD’s $65/annual tax assessment to be included on Property Tax Rolls. Need specific information how this is handled every year.
7. Additional Assessment Tax: Discussion of a possible additional tax assessment. The District is underfunded with shrinking revenues due to depressed real estate market and recession as indicated by the national economic crisis. Unanticipated increase in dispatch fees from Riverside County from $5,000/year to over $50,000/year have seriously impacted the budget.
8. IFPD Business Records: Records were requested from The Family Business to be delivered to the Board at April 11, 2010 meeting. Records are community property and as such should be stored at IFPD. Request for full records/history restated at May 11 meeting.
9. 2008/2009 Audit: Status update.
10. Captain Alan Lott: Status update on Capt. Lott’s request for 5% raise per letter from former-Chief Kunkle.
11. Paid Call: This issue is out to IFPD’s legal counsel. Pended.
12. Employee Roster: Status of roster requested by Comm Schelly. Per Comm Stigall’s directive, all employees were to report information to Engineer/Paramedic LaMont for spreadsheet by May 11, 2010. Mark LaMont made presentation at May 11 meeting showed marked improvement in compliance. Carry until completion.
13. Commissioner Identification: Status of identification and business cards.
14. ***IFPD Resolution #114 Schedule of Offensives/Penalties Policies: Is there verbiage regarding failure to maintain either current medical certification or better? Has this been returned from labor yet? Is a formal copy ready for IFPD Board signatures?
15. ***IFPD Resolution #110 General Rules and Regulations: Has this been returned from labor yet? Addition of chapter on performance evaluations added? Is there verbiage regarding failure to maintain either current medical certification or better? Is a formal copy ready for IFPD Board signatures? *** As previous minutes were not available and I could not recall which items were still active, I have forwarded these two items for review. - Comm. Stigall
Closed Session/None scheduled
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at _____
Next regularly scheduled meeting will be on June 8, 2010.
Next “Special” (not recurring) meeting: TO BE ANNOUNCED
If you challenge any decision in court, you may be limited to raising only those items you or someone else raised at the public meeting described in this notice, or in written correspondence delivered to this agency at, or prior to, the public meeting.
"The People of this State do not yield their sovereignty to the agencies which serve them. The people, in delegating authority, do not give their public servants the right to decide what is good for the people to know and what is not good for them to know. The people insist on remaining informed so that they may retain control over the instruments they have created."
~Preamble from “The Brown Act”
Note: if you would like to receive a copy of IFPD’s meeting agendas/results at the time they are posted;
please send your request to CommissionerStigall@IdyllwildFire.com