The Mt. San Jacinto St. Park has decided to call campers with weekend reservations offeriing a full rebate, according to Superintendent Garret Aitchison.
"With limited staff, I'm worried about an emergency evacuation," he said. And he acknowledged this was strictly a state park decision.
In contrast, John Miller, the information source for the incident command structure assigned to the Cottonwood Fire, said," We have left all the campgrounds and picnic areas open. The last thing we want is put a nail in the coffin of the town."
Miller and other fire officials are more than confident that the Hill can be alerted to an imminent danger well before the emergency is on our doorstep.
While the rumor yesterday was that the Idyllwild Arts campus was evacuated, Idyllwild Fire Chief Steve Kunkle acknowledges he asked employees to keep in contact with their staff because they are dispersed around the campus. He did not call for an evacuation, but only suggested it might be temporarily safer in town.
This is JP's vow: If an evacuation is ordered, it will be posted on this site within minutes of learning about the decision. I will post if from my desk at the Town Crier. I will not be in San Diego, Palm Desert or on the beach.
We are here together. Being vigilant does not mean panic. Please come to the town meeting.